Wednesday, April 14, 2010

THIS SUNDAY, April 18 @ 2pm: Come Celebrate and Honor the Life of Essex Hemphill


I met Essex a long time ago. He was one of the dearest profeminist men I'd ever met, including all I have met since then. His struggle with HIV was known to many. I wish he had lived long enough to benefit from some of the medications that were helpful to those who could afford them. Maybe he would still be alive today. One of my ex-boyfriends contracted HIV after we were together, in the 1980s, and is healthy to this day. So I wish Essex had also survived to write so much more, and to life so much more.

Here's some information about how and where you can show your respect for the work he did. I SOOO wish I could be there!!! Of course, I wish I could go to ALL of the events created by Alexis, aka Lex.

The image and text is from here at Eternal Summer of the Black feminist Mind.

2pm 4/18 Sunday School in Honor of Essex Hemphill

alexis | April 14, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Categories: Uncategorized | URL: http://wp.me/pp3AM-3I
 
Beloved Community! This week marks what would have been the 53rd birthday of Black Gay Poet, Activist, Publisher, Lover, Friend, Comrade, Prophet Essex Hemphill.  Please join us to remember Essex Hemphill, reflect on his poetry, watch a video of him speaking about the role of the writer in the age of AIDS and center our spirits on what the legacy of Essex Hemphill means for our lives today.

Meet us at the Inspiration Station at 2pm on Sunday April 18th (two days after Hemphill's actual birthday).

Children are welcome.

love,
lex and justin

No comments:

Post a Comment